World Day Against Trafficking in Persons 2022
05 July 2022
- The event will break down barriers between migrant communities and will raise awareness of the dangers of trafficking, especially in regard to the growing issue of trafficking facilitated through online platforms
On Saturday 23 July 2022, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) will partner with La Liga and Pyramids FC to host a migrant community event and launch a weeklong campaign for World Day Against Trafficking in Persons 2022. The campaign will raise awareness of the plight of human trafficking victims around the world and promote and protect their rights. Trafficking in persons is a serious crime and a grave violation of human rights. Every year, thousands of men, women and children fall into the hands of traffickers, in their own countries and abroad.
The theme of this year’s World Day Against Trafficking is “Use and Abuse of Technology”. With the global expansion in the use of technology - intensified by the COVID-19 pandemic and the shift of our everyday life to online platforms -- the crime of human trafficking has conquered cyber space. The internet and digital platforms offer traffickers numerous tools to recruit, exploit, and control victims; organize their transport and accommodation; advertise victims and reach out to potential clients; communicate among perpetrators; and hide criminal proceeds – and all that with greater speed, cost-effectiveness, and anonymity.
The event will break down barriers between migrant communities and will raise awareness of the dangers of trafficking, especially in regard to the growing issue of trafficking facilitated through online platforms. Special measures will be taken to ensure that activities are inclusive and accessible, with the involvement of female attendees actively encouraged and specific activities tailored for disabled and less abled attendees.
Activities will include:
- 5-a-side football tournament
- Speeches from key figures from IOM, La Liga and Pyramids FC
- Awareness raising sessions held by IOM on the dangers of trafficking, IOM services, health and COVID-19 and other relevant topics
- Coaching sessions from Pyramids FC professional staff
- Information booths for IOM services
- Football activities and competitions hosted by La Liga
- Refreshments and food/ non-food item distributions
Details for the day:
Where: Pyramids FC, 30 June Stadium: El-Moshir Tantawy Axis, Al Hay Al Asher, Nasr City, Cairo Governorate 4440301. Please enter the sports compound through Gate 4.
When: Saturday 23 July 2022, from 14:00 to 20:00. Opening speeches will be at 15:00 with the football tournament and other activities beginning shortly afterwards.
To access the sports compound, attendees must provide their names and contact details to the event focal point prior to the event. We kindly require that all media attendees respect IOM guidelines in filming, photographing or interviewing migrant attendees. Please confirm your attendance or raise any questions with the event focal point, Henry Amor, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org